Broccoli and Whole-Grain Pasta Soup
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 1–3 slices bacon, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup eggplant, peeled and cubed
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 1 cup whole-grain pasta shells, cooked al dente
- 1 ounce Romano cheese, grated
Place bacon, onion, and garlic in a 4-quart soup pot; brown.
Add tomato paste, water, eggplant, salt, pepper, and oregano. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until eggplant is soft cooked.
Add broccoli florets; simmer for 5 minutes, until broccoli is tender but still slightly crisp. Add cooked pasta.
Serve soup immediately with a sprinkling of grated cheese.
PER SERVING: Calories: 86 | Protein: 6g | Carbohydrates: 10g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg Sodium: 185mg | Fiber: 2g | PCF Ratio: 25-43-32 | Exchange Approx.: ½ Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Fat