Fresh Garden Tomato Sauce
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 12
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup green (or sweet red) pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled and crushed
- 1 (5½-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup dry red wine
In large, heavy sauce pan or Dutch oven, heat oil.
Add celery, onion, and peppers; sauté 5 minutes. Add crushed garlic; sauté additional 2 minutes.
Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, zucchini, oregano, basil, and red pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 2–3 hours.
Add wine during last 30 minutes of cooking.
PER SERVING: Calories: 154 | Protein: 6g | Carbohydrates: 26g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 867mg | Fiber: 6g | PCF Ratio: 15-61-25 | Exchange Approx.: 5 Vegetables, 1 Fat