- 2 pounds (32 ounces) pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian-style seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon crushed anise seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon instant minced onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt (optional)
Remove all fat from meat; cut the meat into cubes. Put in food processor; grind to desired consistency.
Add remaining ingredients; mix until well blended. You can put sausage mixture in casings, but it works equally well broiled or grilled as patties.
YIELDS ABOUT 2 POUNDS (32 OUNCES); SERVING SIZE: 2 OUNCES
PER SERVING, without salt: Calories: 135 | Protein: 15g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 27mg | Fiber: 0g | PCF Ratio: 47-0-53 | Exchange Approx.: 1 Medium-Fat Meat
Simple (and Smart!) Substitutions
Game meats — buffalo, venison, elk, moose — are low in fat, as are ground chicken or turkey. Substitute one of these for pork in any of the sausage recipes in this chapter.