Linguini with Ricotta Salata and Olive Sauce
This is a very earthy and savory pasta dish. Seek out whole-wheat linguini for this dish.
- ½ pound whole-wheat linguini
- ½ cup pitted oil-cured black olives
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup ricotta salata cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Cook the pasta according to package directions.
In a blender or food processor, purée the olives and olive oil together to form a smooth paste.
Drain the pasta, and toss with the olive sauce. Place in warm bowls and top with the cheese, basil, and pepper.
Whole-wheat pasta more closely resembles the classic Italian rustic pastas of old. The larger milled wheat and the addition of bran make for a rich and nutty flavor. This pasta is also a more complex carbohydrate than plain white pasta, and therefore is more healthful.