Crisp tortillas are layered with a rich bean and sausage mixture, then baked with cheese. Yum!
- 1 pound gluten-free ground pork sausage
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 (8-ounce) can gluten-free tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 9 (6″) corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded dairy-free vegan Cheddar cheese
- ½cup shredded dairy-free vegan Monterey Jack cheese
In large saucepan, cook pork sausage over medium heat, stirring to break up meat, until browned. Drain well. Add red bell pepper; cook and stir 3 minutes longer. Add chilies, beans, Taco Seasoning Mix, and tomato sauce; bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring frequently, 10 minutes.
In another large saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Fry the tortillas, one at a time, until crisp, turning once, about 2–3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
On a large cookie sheet with sides, place one tortilla. Top with of the pork mixture and of each cheese. Repeat layers, using 3 tortillas, ending with tortilla and cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas, pork mixture, and cheese, making three stacks.
Bake 25–35 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut each stack in thirds to serve.
Calories: 416 | Carbohydrates: 36g | Fat: 20g | Sodium: 1270mg | Fiber: 7g
Corn Tortillas Are Made of Corn, Right?
Not always. You must read the label every single time you buy a package of corn tortillas. Once you're sure they are wheat free, you can choose from many varieties, colors, and flavors. Blue corn tortillas, spicy tortillas made with red pepper, and white corn tortillas are all delicious.