Chimichangas are usually deep-fried, but this baked version is easier, and better for your family, too.
- 1 pound spicy ground gluten-free pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (6-ounce) can gluten-free tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 12 (6″) corn tortillas
- 1½ cups shredded dairy-free, vegan Monterey jack cheese, divided in 8 parts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 375ºF. In large saucepan, cook sausage with onion and garlic, stirring to break up meat. Drain well. Return pan to heat. Add jalapeño and green bell pepper; cook and stir 3 minutes.
Add refried beans, tomato paste, chili powder, salt, and pepper; mix well. Bring to a simmer; simmer, stirring frequently, 10 minutes.
Arrange tortillas on work surface. Place about ¼ cup sausage mixture on each, then top with cheese, using ⅛ of the cheese for each. Roll up and place seam-side down on cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas, sausage filling, and cheese.
Brush Chimichangas with oil; bake 25–35 minutes, or until tortillas are crisp and cheese is melted. Serve immediately with salsa and avocado.
Calories: 460 | Carbohydrates: 38g | Fat: 23g | Sodium: 1470mg | Fiber: 7g
At Home “Happy Meal”
Kids will tell you part of the fun of takeout food is the setup. Consider adding a surprise toy with your child's homemade “takeout” meal, and serve in a fun container or on a fun plate.