Grilled Beef and Onion Kebabs
An easy summer recipe that will please everyone!
- 4 teaspoons finely ground coriander seeds
- 4 teaspoons finely ground anise seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1½ pounds boneless sirloin steak, fat trimmed, cut into 1¼″ cubes
- 12 red pearl onions (about 3 ounces), peeled and cut in half lengthwise
Preheat a grill or grill pan until hot.
Place the ground coriander and anise seeds in a medium-size bowl. Add the garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, and ¼ cup of the olive oil. Season the marinade with salt and pepper; stir until combined. Add the sirloin cubes and stir to coat; set aside.
In a medium-size bowl, combine the onions and the remaining ¼ cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
Divide the steaks among 4 skewers; thread, leaving ½″ between each cube. Divide the onions among another 4 skewers; thread.
Grill the sirloin kebobs until well browned and medium-rare; grill the onion until glistening, tender, and slightly charred, 5–7 minutes for both. Serve on the skewers.
Calories: 520 | Carbohydrates: 6g | Fat: 40g | Sodium: 95mg | Fiber: 2g
Summer Skewer Fun
Try some unusual twists on skewers: Fruit skewers — Use colorful bites of strawberries, grapes, and melon pieces. Greek island skewers — Petite pieces of feta cheese skewered with broiled cherry tomatoes (count 1 gram of carbohydrate per cherry tomato) and pitted kalamata olives. This is an attractive presentation with fresh rosemary branches used for the skewers.