Most pesto is made with Parmesan cheese and pine nuts, but a vegan alternative works just as well. And nuts aren't necessary!
YIELDS 1½ CUPS PESTO; SERVING SIZE 2 TABLESPOONS
- 1½ cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ to ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup grated soy vegan Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons water, if necessary
In food processor, combine basil, spinach, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; process until ground.
With motor running, add enough olive oil until desired consistency is reached. By hand, stir in cheese and water, if needed.
Store tightly covered in refrigerator up to 3 days. Freeze for longer storage.
Calories: 100–120 | Carbohydrates: 1g | Fat: 10–13g | Sodium: 140mg | Fiber: 0g