If you don't have turbinado sugar, you can substitute granulated sugar.
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon baking powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 8 tablespoons (½ cup) gluten-free, casein-free margarine
- 1 cup gluten-free, casein-free soy milk
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
In a large bowl, combine flour, xanthan gum, sugar, salt, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and cocoa.
In a small saucepan, combine margarine and soy milk over medium-low heat. Stir until margarine is melted, then remove from heat.
In a small bowl, combine applesauce with ½ teaspoon of baking powder.
Mix vinegar and vanilla in with applesauce mixture. Mix soy milk mixture into applesauce mixture.
Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
Spoon batter into well-oiled standard muffin pan (or use muffin papers).
MAKES 12 CUPCAKES
Calories: 223 | Fat: 9 g | Protein: 3 g | Fiber: 3 g