Essential Biscuit-Baking Tools
While the actual baking process is based on chemistry and the correct combination and proportions of ingredients, your kitchen drawers and cabinets hold many versatile tools that can help you make better biscuits. Do not be afraid to work with what you have and be creative — use a pastry wheel to cut simple shapes, a two-pronged fork to create “button” holes, and a glass to cut circles.
Working with dough is one of life's simple pleasures; it's both relaxing and comforting at the same time. Experiment with it and don't worry about making mistakes.
Here is a list of the essential tools you'll need for treats that look and taste great:
- Cookie cutters: Made of plastic, stainless steel, or copper, cookie cutters are available in almost any shape or size. Use any size cutter you want, but remember to use the same size for each batch to keep baking times consistent.
- Cookie sheets: Measure the interior size of your oven and purchase the largest size cookie sheet that will fit. Make sure the cookie sheets are crafted of heavy gauge aluminized steel, resist warping, and allow for even heat distribution.
- Wooden rolling pin: The key to successful and easy dough rolling, a well-crafted rolling pin is truly your most essential tool.
When selecting a rolling pin, choose a heavy one. The weight makes rolling easier and means you'll be able to shape your dough efficiently. Rolling pins are available in a variety of materials including marble and stainless steel, but wood is the most commonly used substance.
- Hand-held cheese grater: This versatile tool allows you to grate, shred, or shave cheese, lemon, or orange peel evenly and quickly.
- Pizza wheel: Select a pizza wheel that fits comfortably in your hand and provides a good grip.
Once you start baking, you will find yourself collecting cookie cutters. Many people feel nostalgic about cookie cutters and remember a certain shape that reminds them of a special holiday, recipe, or person. It will be easier to remember what you have if you keep a list of your cookie cutters, defined by shape and size.