INGREDIENTS | YIELDS 1 cup
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 or 2 jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon fresh-squeezed lime juice
- Handful of cilantro leaves, cleaned and roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cocktail Complement: Tasting Away in Margaritaville
Quarter the tomatoes. Discard the seeds and cut into a fine dice.
Toss together with the diced onion, jalapeños, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Keeps in the refrigerator for 2 days, but is best used the day it's made.
Tomato story: In 1883, a tomato importer named John Nix was upset that the United States Congress passed a 10 percent tariff on all imported vegetables. He set out to prove that tomatoes were technically not a vegetable but a fruit that was grown on a vine—and he won. To this day, thanks to Mr. Nix, taxes are not paid on imported tomatoes.