Capellini Pancetta Frittata
Serves 10–12 as an appetizer
¼ pound capellini, broken into ½-inch lengths
1 tablespoon salt
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup shredded mozzarella
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Pinch dried hot red pepper flakes
6 thick slices pancetta, cut into small pieces and cooked until crisp
1 cup frozen tiny peas, thawed
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Upside-Down Pineapple Martini (page 21)
1. In a large pot, bring at least 3 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Add the salt. Add the capellini and stir to prevent sticking. Cook until al dente. Drain.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, cooked capellini, mozzarella, and salt and pepper to taste. Add red pepper flakes and mix well.
3. In another bowl, gently combine the cooked pancetta, peas, and Parmesan.
4. In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté about 1 minute, until softened. Pour half the egg and pasta mixture into the skillet and top with the pancetta mixture. Cover with the remaining pasta mixture. Cook 8 or 9 minutes, pressing down slightly. Invert the frittata onto a plate.
5. Add more oil to the skillet, if necessary, and return the frittata to pan, uncooked side down. Cook until golden, about 5 more minutes. Cut into small wedges and serve.