Crudite and American Cheese Picnic
This combination is always welcome at a picnic. Fresh vegetables and semi-hard cheeses make for good eating!
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4 to 6
- 2 carrots, peeled, and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium English cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 small bunch fresh radishes
- 1 dozen cracked green olives
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ pound Tillamook sharp Cheddar cheese, partially sliced
- ¼ pound Vella Dry Jack cheese, partially sliced
- ¼ pound piquant blue cheese, partially sliced
Arrange all ingredients on a platter, with a bowl of mustard in the middle, and a knife for each wedge of unsliced cheese.
Vella Dry Jack's Rind
Most Monterey jack cheese is made from curds washed in water or whey. Vella Dry Jack curds are not washed in whey. Instead, the drained wheels are rubbed with a mixture of vegetable oil, unsweetened cocoa, and black pepper. This preserves the cheese without penetrating the paste, and creates a flaky, chocolate-colored rind and a rich, creamy mouthfeel.