Daylily Soup (Canning)
This is another whimsical and tasty soup. The lilies add a clove-like flavor.
INGREDIENTS | MAKES 3–4 PINTS
- 5 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup cooked, minced chicken
- 1 ½ tablespoons cubed salt pork
- ¾ cup diced potatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 3 tablespoons minced celery
- ¼ teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 3 teaspoons minced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 ½ cups chopped daylilies
Put all ingredients in a stockpot. Cook 20 minutes, until potatoes start to get tender.
Remove from heat; ladle into prepared jars.
Cap and process at 11 pounds of pressure for 20 minutes.
In China, daylilies have been used in food for thousands of years. The flower was so fondly regarded that the word for daylily and the concept of “forgetting one’s worries” are identical.