Here's what you will need to make a seashell candle:
- At least one seashell
- A small bowl
- Sand (or you can use rice)
- A knife
- A glass measuring cup
- A microwave
- An oven mitt
1. Fill the small bowl with sand. Situate the seashell in the middle of the sand so that it doesn't move around easily. You will get the best results if the seashell has been washed and dried thoroughly.
2. Remove the outer casing from the tealight. Next you will remove the metal plate from the bottom of the tealight. Do so gently because the metal plate is attached to the wick and you will want both of these to remain intact.
3. Set the metal plate and wick in the middle of the seashell. Make sure it is standing upright — a wick on its side isn't going to do you much good.
4. Using the knife, cut the block of paraffin into cubes (make them small so they can melt easily). Put the cubes into the glass measuring cup and place in the microwave. Heat on high for approximately six minutes or until the paraffin is completely melted.
5. Using the oven mitt, remove the measuring cup from the microwave. Slowly pour the melted paraffin into the seashell, being careful not to upset the wick. Set aside and allow to cool.