Here's what you will need to make a sand candle:
- Three small bowls
- Three-quarters of a cup of salt
- Food coloring, three different colors
- A spoon
- A small glass jar (baby food jars work well)
- A double-boiler
- An empty can
- An oven mitt
- Candlewick (approximately 2″ long)
1. Add ¼ cup of salt to each of the three bowls. Then add a few drops of food coloring to each of the bowls of salt (one color per bowl). Using the spoon, mix the salt and food coloring.
2. Pour the salt into the glass jar, layering the colors. Leave approximately an inch of space at the top. Do not shake.
3. Place a block of paraffin into the empty can. Fill both the top and bottom of the double-boiler half-full with water and place on low heat. Put the can with the paraffin into the top of the double-boiler. Heat until the paraffin has melted.
4. Remove the paraffin from the double-boiler using an oven mitt. (Careful, this will be very hot!) Slowly pour the melted paraffin into the glass jar on top of the layered sand.
5. While the paraffin is still hot, place the wick down into the center of the paraffin. You will want to leave approximately an inch of the wick sticking out at the top. Set aside and allow to cool.