When you know what's in your icing, it's easier to avoid allergens like milk and eggs. Use a splash of coffee for a warm brown color, beets for pinks and reds, blueberries for blue, strawberries for flavorful pinks, and lemon for the lightest of yellow tints.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder (optional)
Sift confectioners' sugar into a large mixing bowl.
Cream remaining ingredients in a separate bowl.
Combine mixtures using an electric mixer set to medium speed for 2 minutes or until creamy and all ingredients are fully incorporated.