Piña Colada Cupcakes
This light, tropical blend of flavors is a favorite for summer parties or beach-themed affairs. To toast coconut, spread sweetened flaked coconut in a baking dish and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. You can do this while the cupcakes are cooling.
INGREDIENTS | MAKES 24 CUPCAKES
- 1 18.25-ounce box white cake mix
- 1 3.9-ounce box instant French vanilla pudding mix
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- ⅔ cup light rum, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 14-ounce can plus 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
- 1 16-ounce tub vanilla frosting
- 1 12-ounce tub nondairy whipped topping
- Toasted coconut for garnish
- Cocktail parasols
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 8″ layer cake pans.
Mix cake mix, pudding mix, oil, water, and⅓ cup rum using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add eggs one at a time, slowly beating the batter as you go.
Fold in can of pineapple and coconut. Pour into pans and bake for 25 minutes.
To make the frosting, mix 1 cup crushed pineapple, remaining⅓ cup rum, and vanilla frosting until thick. Add nondairy whipped topping.
Frost completely cooled cupcakes and garnish with toasted coconut and a parasol.