"Sausage" and Grits with Country Biscuits
This vegetarian take on an all-time Southern favorite, a sausage-and-grits morning dish, has the same cheese and sausage richness without those extra calories.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 3 cups water or milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup grits, preferably stone ground
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Creole seasoning or hot pepper sauce to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices soy “sausage” meat, about ½ inch thick
- 4 homemade or store-bought biscuits or 4 whole wheat English muffins, halved
Bring the water and olive oil to a boil over medium heat and slowly stir in the grits. Add the salt and thyme and reduce the heat to medium-low, stirring often.
After about 5 minutes of cooking, stir in the cheese, garlic, seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more and set aside.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Brown the “sausage” slice on both sides. Meanwhile, split and toast the biscuits or muffins and place on serving plates.
Put one sausage patty on one half of the biscuit and spoon the hot grits over both the patty and the second biscuit half. Repeat, using up all the ingredients. Serve.