Spicy-Tart Apple Sauce
Makes 4 Cups
- 12 large, tart apples such as Granny Smith or Macintosh
- Juice of 2 lemons and a 1″ to 2″ strip of lemon peel
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce (optional)
Peel, core, and coarsely chop the apples into chunks.
Place the apples in a saucepan with the rest of the ingredients.
Bring to a boil and then lower the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve hot or cold.