Hot and Sweet Italian Sausage
- 8 Italian frying peppers (light green skin)
- ½ cup olive oil, more if needed
- 3 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4 Italian hot sausages (about ⅓ to ½ pound each)
- 4 Italian sweet sausages (about ⅓ to ½ pound each)
- 2 (8-ounce) jars marinara sauce
- 8 split hero rolls or 4 loaves Italian bread, split and cut in half
Rinse and seed peppers, and cut into chunks.
Place olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add peppers and sauté until they are soft. Add the onions and continue to sauté. (Add more olive oil if needed.) Once peppers and onions are cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
Place the sausages in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Preheat the grill to hot. Place the sauce in a pan to warm. Prepare the hero rolls or bread for toasting. Grill the sausages quickly, browning on each side. Toast bread while the sausages are grilling.
Build hero sandwiches on toasted bread: Add sausage and then peppers and onions. Top with marinara sauce, and put out plenty of paper napkins!