Crispy Chinese Cabbage with Shredded Peanut "Chicken"
You might want to accompany this salad with crispy spring rolls and a peanut dipping sauce. For variety's sake, try using crispy tofu in place of the “chicken” strips.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4 to 6
- 5 cups shredded napa cabbage (about 1¼ pounds)
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1 cup roasted peanuts
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon plus ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 (6-ounce) packages soy “chicken” strips
- 1 cup shredded bamboo shoots, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
Put the cabbage shreds, julienned pepper, peanuts, and cilantro leaves in a large bowl. Set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large wok or skillet over medium heat and stir-fry the “chicken” strips and bamboo shoots for 1 minute. Set aside.
Mix the ¼ cup oil, peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic, vinegar, sugar, and crushed red pepper, whisking together to mix well. Blend the dressing ingredients with a whisk until smooth in a small bowl and set aside.
Add the “chicken” strips and bamboo shoots to the cabbage mixture and toss with the salad dressing to coat the ingredients well. Serve.
PER SERVING: Calories: 427 | Fat: 29 g | Protein: 20 g | Sodium: 787 mg | Fiber: 6 g | Carbohydrate: 26 g