This Italian classic is served at weddings or on other special occasions. Its ingredients will support a lifetime of health and happiness.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 3 slices Italian bread, toasted
- ¾ pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg or ¼ cup egg substitute
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh basil, chopped
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup rough chopped fresh spinach with stems removed
- 2 quarts Rich Poultry Stock or low-sodium canned chicken stock
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Wet the toasted Italian bread with water, then squeeze out all the liquid.
In a large bowl, mix together the bread, beef, egg, onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, pepper, and half of the Parmesan.
Form the mixture into 1- to 2-inch balls; place in a baking dish and cook for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and drain on paper towels.
Steam the spinach al dente. In a large stockpot, combine the stock, spinach, and meatballs; simmer for 30 minutes.
Ladle the soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
PER SERVING: Calories: 245 | Fat: 10 g | Protein: 26 g | Sodium: 1,021 mg | Fiber: 0.5 g | Carbohydrate: 9 g