Serve this stew, redolent with the flavors of the sunny Mediterranean, with warmed pita bread.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 1 (15½-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups roasted tomatoes
- 1½ cups artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1 cup Basic Vegetable Stock or low-sodium canned vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped sun-dried tomatoes, for garnish
- Chopped Italian parsley, for garnish
- Garlic-seasoned croutons, for garnish
- Crumbled feta cheese, for garnish
- Fresh oregano leaves, for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté the garlic for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden.
Reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir in the chickpeas, cannellini beans, roasted tomatoes, artichoke hearts, stock, Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir for about 10 minutes.
Serve in individual bowls, garnishing as desired.
PER SERVING: Calories: 445 | Fat: 16 g | Protein: 18 g | Sodium: 530 mg | Fiber: 12 g | Carbohydrate: 61 g