Fava Bean Hummus with Tahini and Pistachios
If you need extra liquid to help purée the fava beans, you may add olive oil or a splash of vegetable broth, but don't overdo it. The hummus should be thick, not runny. Serve this with toasted pita pieces or bagel chips or with fresh vegetables for dunking.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 1 (15-ounce) can fava beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, or to taste
- Juice from 1 lemon, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or more as needed to process
- 1 to 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup minced parsley
- ¾ cup toasted pistachios
Put the beans, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, tahini, salt, and pepper into a food processor or blender and purée.
Spoon the mixture into a bowl and stir in the parsley and pistachios. Chill until serving time.
PER SERVING: Calories: 217 | Fat: 15 g | Protein: 8 g | Sodium: 328 mg | Fiber: 4.5 g | Carbohydrate: 15 g