1. George Washington accepted no salary during the Revolutionary War, asking only that his expenses be covered.
2. Because of the unpopularity of the war in Britain, the government had to hire German regiments to reinforce its army in America.
3. African Americans served in many regiments of the Continental army, the last time American military units would be integrated until the Korean War.
4. The American Revolutionary War became a world war when France and Spain intervened. Fighting raged in the Caribbean, Europe, and India.
5. Two brothers from Virginia, Richard Henry Lee and Francis Lightfoot Lee, signed the Declaration of Independence.
6. Up to a fifth of Americans remained loyal to the King. Many joined the British army, making the war for independence a civil war as well.
7. The first American constitution was the Articles of Confederation.
8. Roger Sherman of Connecticut was the only man to sign the Articles of Association, the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation, and the Constitution.
9. North Carolina and Rhode Island did not ratify the Constitution until after the new government was in operation.
10. One of the original amendments to the Constitution submitted by James Madison was not ratified until 1992, when it became Amendment XXVII.