Salmon Veggie Chowder
This rich chowder is perfect for entertaining. Serve with a spinach salad and some toasted garlic bread.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (7-ounce) pouch salmon, drained
- 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 (3-ounce) pouch smoked salmon
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups light cream or evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
In large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and celery; cook 3 minutes.
Sprinkle with flour, salt, and pepper; cook and stir until bubbly, about 3 minutes. Add chicken broth; cook and stir until blended.
Add remaining ingredients except cheese; simmer 20 minutes. Add cheese; heat until melted.
Salmon in a Pouch
Salmon packed in an aseptic pouch is just like canned salmon, but without the skin and bones. Just drain it and it's ready to use. The meat is tender and flavorful, and these packages are easier to store and open than metal cans. They also cost less to ship because they're lighter.