Microwave Bean and Corn Chili
This easy chili uses ground turkey instead of beef. For a vegetarian version, simply omit the turkey.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies, undrained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
In 2-quart microwave-safe dish, place olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cover, vent one corner, and microwave on high 3 minutes.
Crumble turkey into dish and mix with onions and garlic. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes, then stir. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes longer until turkey is done.
Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes; remove and stir. Cover and microwave again for 7 to 8 minutes until mixture is hot, bubbly, and blended.
Let stand on solid surface 5 minutes. Top with cheese and serve.
The microwave oven creates hot and cold spots in the food, so standing time after cooking is important. This time lets the food finish cooking and evens out the temperature. Don't place the container on a wire rack or trivet; it must be on a solid surface.